On Monday, The Police Benevolent Association was quick to express its outrage over reports that three officers had been “intentionally poisoned” by an employee who may have contaminated their milkshakes with bleach.
The late night tweet read, “#BREAKING When NYC police officers cannot even take meal without coming under attack, it is clear that environment in which we work has deteriorated to a critical level. We cannot afford to let our guard down for even a moment.” The food company even released a statment saying, “We are horrified by the reports of police officers injured at our 200 Broadway Shack in Manhattan. We are working with the police in their investigation right now.”
Following a quick investigation, it turns out that it was not intentionally, just an accident. Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison tweeted early Tuesday: “After a thorough investigation by the NYPD’s Manhattan South investigators, it has been determined that there was no criminality by Shake Shack’s employees.”
The cops said they noticed a funny taste when they sipped the drinks from the chain’s location on Broadway near Fulton Street shortly after 9 p.m. Monday. They were all taken to Bellevue Hospital to get checked and have since been released.
Police sources said the case has been deemed unintentional after it appeared that whatever cleaning solution was used on the shake machine wasn’t rinsed off enough, The New York Post reports.